The cement works which closed in 1970, started with a lime kiln using Blue Lias and sits just north of the village. The business became Greaves, Bull and Lakin and in 1855 opened a new cement works. By 1882 it had four bottle kilnsand was making 120 tons of Portland cementa week.
Allied Cement Manufacturers, bought the quarry and works in 1927 but went bankrupt in 1931. Associated Portland Cement, now Blue Circle Industries, bought ACM’s assets in 1932 and continued production. In 1970 Blue Circle ceased cement-making at the site and turned it into a storage depot. The site was cleared in 1994 since when it has been redundant.
Since this time, the initial thoughts were that the site would be suitable for open air storage purposes, however following approximately 20 years of lack of market interest it became apparent that alternative uses needed to be considered.
With the increasing need and requirement for housing in the District, Lone Star Land advising the Corbally Group and Follett started to promote the site for residential purposes. Following an extensive local stakeholder consultation programme, the site received unanimous approval for a mixed use scheme for 200 dwellings together with a care homes and B1 / B8 employment uses. This would also see the deliver of a 20 hectare Nature Reserve that would be owned and operated by Warwickshire Wildlife Trust. A further 80 dwellings were later consented on the site.
Following these planning approvals, Lone Star marketed the site and then partnered with Barratt David Wilson to deliver the necessary remediation and re-engineering works to deliver the development platforms. Barratt David Wilson completed on the purchase of the land in July 2018 and will shortly commence the development of 280 dwellings.